One of the most popular materials for cookware is stainless steel. Stainless steel cookware has become well known because it has proven its quality throughout the years. It is widely the preferred choice of cookware amongst home and professional cooks. Aside from stainless cookware being a high-quality material, there are many other benefits to using stainless steel cookware sets.
Benefits of Stainless Steel Cookware
Allow me to list down here in the said benefits:
- Sturdiness – stainless steel cookware set is very sturdy and does not easily break. Stainless steel is not brittle and does not corrode. There is tri-ply stainless steel cookware and even 5 ply stainless steel cookware already available in the market. They have more layers of metal. It can be an aluminum core, to enhance the performance of your cookware and your cooking experience. Most stainless steel cookware made in the USA is safe to wash in a dishwasher.
- Non-reactive – Maintaining the flavors of the dishes you prepare is very important. You wouldn’t want your cookware interfering with the flavors, right? Good thing that surgical stainless steel cookware does not react with food ingredients, even acidic ingredients like tomatoes.
- Safety – Is stainless steel cookware safe? Generally speaking, it should be safe but as in all cases, poor quality materials are being used in some products, in this case, stainless steel. If using stainless steel for cookware, it should be surgical-grade. To be sure you are getting good quality stainless steel, check the trusted brands like all clad stainless steel cookware or Cuisinart stainless steel cookware set.
- Aesthetics – Stainless steel has a nice polished exterior finish which is quite easy to achieve with just a little cleaning even after so much usage of the cookware.
- Reusable – Stainless steel is not something for the garbage can. Even the best stainless steel cookware will deteriorate over time because of wear and tear and when the time comes, don’t be sad to let go. It can serve another purpose, just get it to a recycling place and they could reuse the stainless steel to create something else.
Stainless Steel Cookware Cons
There are just some downsides with stainless steel cookware which we discuss as follows:
- Heat conductivity – stainless steel is not a good heat conductor. However, most stainless cookware is augmented with other metals like aluminum which is a good heat conductor to function seamlessly.
- Price range – professional stainless steel cookware, which is preferred by many, is very costly although you may consider this as an investment instead of an expense. In the long run, it may save you money by not having to buy new ones but initially, yes, it is costly.
- There is a more reasonably priced cookware like the KitchenAid stainless steel cookware and Kirkland stainless steel cookware which has reasonably good quality.
- Cleaning – how to clean stainless steel cookware? It’s relatively easy except when the food sticks on your cookware. However, some dishes will inevitably stick onto your cookware. This is when cleaning is such labor with this type of cookware. You need to scrub it thoroughly or sometimes you need to soak the cookware in water for some time before scrubbing it. Soaking will soften the stuck food. You may also use baking soda and scouring pad to help with the clean-up. If you want an easier life as to cleaning your cookware, buy a stainless steel cookware cleaner.
Overall, stainless steel cookware is one of the most versatile cookware types. Most cooks or chefs, be it regular home cooking or commercial cooking, love it. The advantages of this type of cookware far outweigh its cons.
To find out what is the top stainless steel cookware, check out various reviews as they do stainless steel cookware ratings.